Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Mail Order Souvenir Catalog

 


This is a topic in which I could go down a pretty good rabbit hole, but I will keep it simple for now.  I hope to revisit this subject at a later time in more detail though.  The best place to start is with the fact that sports teams were producing or buying souvenirs to sell to fans as far back as anyone can remember.  This was a way to get the word out about the team, give the fans something of a keepsake and, of course to make some additional money.

Danny Goodman had made a career out of promotion and concessions in MLB for some time, but began managing the Dodger promotions and concessions in 1958, when the club moved from Brooklyn to Los Angeles.  The man was a genius at marketing and made the Dodgers king of the souvenirs and would remain at the helm for 25 years, ending only because of his death in 1983.  Perhaps as early as 1958, the Dodgers were printing these mail order catalogs and sending them out with mail requests.  It would appear that new versions would come our periodically and they were always filled with both new and older merchandise.  i have collected a number of these, not only for the appeal of the item itself, but for the historical information contained inside about the various offerings.

I still remember my first, and only, trip to Dodger Stadium back in 1980 and still have that photo packet of 20 black and white 5x7 photos that I selected at one of the concession stands spread throughout the stadium.  I didn't buy them directly from Mr. Goodman, but it was his empire that allowed me to do so.  Many other Dodger collectibles can be traced back to those concession stands and mail order brochures/catalogs.

This particular brochure copy was for the 1979 year.  On the front were the members of the famous dodgers infield, who would play together from 1973-1981.  Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, Davey Lopes and Bill Russell.  Inside is a treasure trove of dodger-related goodies at prices that make you want to cry now!

I wish I could have met Danny Goodman.  He died not too long after my trip to Dodger Stadium, June 16, 1983 at the age of 71.

Post a Comment

0 Comments